Founded in Le Mans, France in 1841, the Sisters of the Holy Cross form a part of the religious family of priests, brothers, and sisters brought together by Blessed Basil Moreau. Believing that the proclamation of the Gospel is intrinsic to Catholic education, and that knowledge empowers faith, Father Moreau established schools in France at all levels, for students of any social or economic background. This heritage of equality would form the basic orientation to education that the Sisters of the Holy Cross brought with them to the United States in 1843. Within a few years of arriving in this country, the Sisters established themselves as a leading teaching order and greatly increased educational opportunities for women.
Since the time of their founding, the formal designation used by the Sisters of the Holy Cross to mark their religious order has been CSC, an abbreviation for the Latin Congregatio Sanctae Crucis, or Congregation of the Holy Cross. The Sancta Crux Scholars at The Academy of the Holy Cross take their name to honor this tradition and the long history of education that is at the heart of the mission of the Sisters of the Holy Cross.